Advertising in the Dance Gypsy
The Dance Gypsy no longer accepts paid advertisements.
Note: Ads are not required: basic listings in the Dance Gypsy are free:
The Dance Gypsy will happily list your dance, special event, or caller/musician information (in the appropriate sections) at no charge! Usually this includes the basic information about the event: performers, date, time and location, and contact information. Simply use the user-update section or even send us the important details and we will list it — with no charges or preconditions. But
The Dance Gypsy offers a new service: instant ads. Instant ads really are exactly that — instant: you design it, you see it, you order it — and it is immediately available to visitors to the Dance Gypsy web site. We even provide all the tools to design your ad. It can literally be completed in a minute or two. You can get an ad for as little as $8 a month ... or a total price as low as $30.
Actually, it is even fun: use you organizations symbolic colors, or select something to get attention just fill out the form below and watch your ad develop. Experiment and modify it as often as you want until you are happy. Then submit the request, using your bank account or credit card or paypal account.
The process is simple: use the form below to design the ad. Order it and pay online with your credit card, bank authorization or PayPal account. The ad will immediately start to appear on Dance Gypsy pages
Actually, these are ridiculously cheap. A full year is only $100; an experimental 3 month ad is only $30. (think about that: if the ad brought just one additional dancer who attended your dances all year, the ad would pay for itself.)
The Dance Gypsy also offers low-price paid-ads for any dance-related event
This is the best place to advertise your dance–related offerings: dances, festivals, recordings, bands and callers, concerts, dance shoes, etc. These ads attract attention to your event or product. At the same time, they help support the Dance Gypsy’s efforts to inform the dance community. Note that we only directly accept ads with some connection to the dancing community: dances festivals, dance clothes, music, etc. Since all DG ads are potentially relevant to all dancers, there is a much higher probability that dancers may actually read those ads. If you already know what you want, just skip down to order your ad now! Or see some examples of Dance Gypsy display ads now.
Why use a Dance Gypsy ad for your organization?
- With almost 11,000 searches every week, the Dance Gypsy is now the site of choice for many dancers — not just in the New England of our roots, but throughout North America — for finding their needed dance information. It makes sense to advertise where the dancers look.
- Placement: Dance Gypsy ads are integrated at appropriate locations within the dance (or other) listings — not in some separate and annoying pop up window, and not all clustered together at the back, as in many magazines.
- Dance Gypsy ads are live linked directly to your organization’s
own web site (at no extra charge). That means a dancer who sees your ad can
be at your web site with a single click!
- An ad attached to your regular listing makes it stand out.
- An ad appearing elsewhere makes dancers aware of your event (for example, even though your festival may be six months away, dancers looking at events for next week will still see your ad).
- The prices are incredibly low!
- Your ads help support the continued existence of the Dance Gypsy and its information services (including our free listings showing your dance or event).
Types of ad:
ads (your regular entry is highlighted: larger font and preceded by
The low price of highlight ads makes them an ideal choice for smaller dance organizations.
Display ads (blocks of images
and/or text “above and beyond” the regular listing).
Display ads are sold “by the vertical inch” — actually by the 100 pixels of vertical height (about 1 to 1.3 inches depending on the viewer’s display settings). A regular–size display ad is less than 100 pixels high and 400 pixels wide (about 5 inches).
Double-size ads can be 100-199 pixels high; triple size, to 299.
See some examples of Dance Gypsy display ads here:
Placement of display ads
Display ads can be positioned in either of two ways:
- “In-line” ads may be attached to your event or organization, so that the ad appears below the listing for your event(s) or organization in the appropriate section(s) of the Dance Gypsy. This makes your listing stand out ahead of the other listings returned within the same search. In-line ads are probably best for events in the near future: people will see the ad whenever they request a search places that would find your event. Thus, if your event is next month, then a “find next month’s events” search will display your ad. They also may be best for organizations with many events because it can be attached to each of your events, at no extra charge.
- “Random” ads appear randomly within the Dance Gypsy pages. The results of any search will contain a random number of ads, your specific ad may or may not appear in any given search. However, because ads may appear on any page and since the average visitor to the Dance Gypsy performs 8 to 10 searches before leaving, that typical visitor has a greater than 90% chance of seeing your ad (even if not looking for events of your specific form) and a better than 2 in 3 chance of seeing your ad two or more times. And since the placement is random, they will not so easily ignore it on subsequent visits. Random ads are probably best for events further in the future, or for services not attached to a given event (e.g., dance shoes or a dance organization).
The current rates for ads in the Dance Gypsy are:
|1 to 3 months||4-6 months||7 months to a year|
|display ad (regular size)||$50||$70||$125|
|display ad (double sized)||$90||$130||$225|
|“Setting” an ad||$25||$25||$25|
Want one? Order it now!
The basic prices assume that your ad is “web ready”— or at least close — in any web-appropriate graphics format (e.g., .gif or .jpg). Other formats such .png are also acceptable — but do note that more users will be able to see your image if you stick with the “old stand-by”s such as .gif of .jpg. We may change the file-format of ads to improve download time.
The Dance Gypsy is not normally in the business of creating ads. But if you cannot provide an ad in electronic form, we can create (at no charge) a no frills setting, no pictures (unless you provide them), nor any fancy graphic formats. Usually it’s just a colored rectangle with your event name — but it will be readable and attract attention to your event.
If you want a bit more, and can only deliver hard copy or a concept, we can create your ad in an appropriate format — for a setting charge of $25 (for example, ads submitted via paper, telephone or fax and which you wish us to have set up, modified or scanned).
Fancier ads can be created — but we will have to charge you $50/hour.
All Dance Gypsy ads serve as “live links” to the advertiser’s own web site. For that, we will need that address. Note that your page will appear in a separate window so that it will not disappear as soon as the user returns to the Dance Gypsy listings.
All ads may use any color(s).
Material may be submitted via E-mail, fax, snail mail (e.g. a floppy disk) or hand delivery.
You may place your ad using PayPal (essentially: credit cards for the little guy), or by sending your info via Email (and of course a check through the mails) , or the whole thing via snail mail.
Electronic payment does require that you join PayPal. Fortunately, this is free and relatively painless. Essentially PayPal works as a middleman: you join and provide them with a credit card number (or if you prefer, you may use your bank account or simply deposit money with them). When you make a purchase from a PayPal site (e.g., the Dance Gypsy — or any other vendor), you authorize PayPal to charge your account and send the money to the vendor. Both seller and purchaser receive immediate confirmation via Email. All transactions are through secure sites and there is no service charge to the purchaser. One big advantage for many advertisers is that you provide your credit card info only once, rather than with each purchase you make: after the first use, you never have to provide credit card numbers, etc. again.
You may open a PayPal account by clicking the button below. Their site will allow you to cancel the process at any time.